1. Mandibles unidentate, falcate (A) ...
Mandibles bidentate, shape various (a) ...
2. Areolet open, 3Rs–m absent (A); hind wing with distal abscissa of
Cu1 absent (A) ...
Lusius Tosquinet, 1903
Areolet closed, 3Rs–m present, sometimes non–tubular (a); hind wing
with distal abscissa of Cu1 present, sometimes very faint (a) ...
Heterischnus Wesmael, 1859
3. Metasomal tergite 2 with gastrocoeli and thyridiae totally absent
(A, B) ... 4
Metasomal tergite 2 with gastrocoeli (G) present, faint to deep, and
thyridiae (T) differentiated (a, b) ...
4. Propodeal apophyses strong, spine–like, at least as long as
basally wide (A); Madagascar ...Hoplophaeogenes
Propodeum without spine–like apophyses, or apophyses hardly distinct (a) ...
5. Sternaulus deep and long, reaching beyond mid–length of
mesopleuron (A): areolet open, 3Rs–m absent (B); hind wing with
distal abscissa of Cu1 absent (B) ...
Arearia Seyrig, 1952
Sternaulus absent or at least strongly weaker and shorter (a);
areolet closed, 3Rs–m present (b); hind wing with distal abscissa of
Cu1 present, sometimes non pigmented (b) ...
6. Propodeum smoothly sculptured (at least anteriorly) with median areas fused into one single
mid–longitudinal area (A) ...
Propodeum coarsely sculptured with area supero–media delimited (a) ...
Dicaelotus Wesmael, 1845
7. Occipital and oral carina joining at mandibular base, the
junction separated from mandibular basis by less than carina width
(A); postpectal carina complete (B); face quadrate without distinct
mid–longitudinal bulge (C) ...
Oral and occipital carina joined distinctly above mandibular base
(a); postpectal carina ventrally widely interrupted in front of mid
coxae (b); face short and transverse with a strong mid–longitudinal
bulge laterally limited by grooves (c) ...
8. Metasomal tergite 2 stout, less than 1.5x longer than apically
wide (A); gastrocoeli deep, thyridiae concolourous with remainder
of tergite (A); flagellum shorter than fore wing (B); malar space
long (Mi > 0.5) (C) ...
Diadromus Wesmael, 1845 [single
species in Afrotropical region:
Diadromus collaris (Gravenhorst,
Metasomal tergite 2 elongate, more than 2x longer than apically wide
(a); gastrocoeli very shallow, thyridiae lighter than remainder of
tergite (a); flagellum slender, longer than fore wing (b); malar
very short (Mi < 0.5) (c) ...
Kibalus Rousse, van Noort &